On 9th October 2020, Acting HIS (Homeland Security Investigation) Special Agent in Charge Erick P. Breitzke, El Paso Division; Texas Department of Public Safety Director Stephen C. McCraw; and United States Attorney John F. Bash announced that federal authorities acquired a civil ruling against thirty-nine-year-old El Paso inhabitant Hugo Chico in attempt to fight purported fraud connected to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.
The civil ruling aimed to terminate Chico’s trade of fraudulent coronavirus prevention drugs through his enterprise and his Facebook page,” Centro de Medicina Fisca y Rehabilitation.” As per the affidavit records, Chico purportedly convened with undercover cops on 5th October 2020 to trade and deliver coronavirus prevention drugs.
The measures ensured that Chico, in and any of his accomplices, terminated advertising or carried out any coronavirus treatment. In doing so, the government employed a federal act that allowed federal courts to give rulings to avert harm to potential patients of fraudulent endeavors.
Homeland Security Investigation El Paso aspired to caution public members who acquired unsanctioned coronavirus prevention drugs from Chico in the previous couple of weeks. People who acquired the medication were asked to call Homeland Security Investigation by dialing (915) 730-7012. The individuals were additionally encouraged to call their primary care doctors, free-standing ER, local health departments, or available urgent coronavirus testing facilities.
The implementation action was to be prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Eddie Castillo and Kirk Mangels of Texas’ Western District. The investigation for this case was conducted by the Texas Department of Public Safety and Homeland Security Investigation El Paso.
The allegations made in the indictment are only but claims that, if the trial were to continue to court, the government must show to receive a durable ruling against the accused.
The Justice Department suggested that citizens take the below precautionary measures to safeguard themselves from familiar and surfacing scams relating to coronavirus:
- Individually confirm the identity of any enterprise, relief, or persons that contacts you concerning coronavirus.
- Inspect the websites and internet email addresses giving information, goods, or services regarding coronavirus. Be conscious that scammers usually use addresses that vary only slightly from those owned by the institutions that they are mimicking. For instance, they may use ‘cdc.org” or “cdc.com” in place of “cdc.gov.”
- Be aware of unrequested emails giving information, distributing, or medications for coronavirus, or asking for your private information for medical reasons. Legal health authorities will not call the members of the public using this method.
- Don’t press on links or open email attachment from strange or untested sources. Doing this could result in a virus being downloaded onto your computer or device.
- Ensure that the anti-virus and anti-malware programs on your computer are working and are updated.
- Disregard offers for coronavirus vaccine, remedy, or medication. Recall, if a vaccine is found, you will not be informed for the first time using online advertisements, unverified trade pitch, or email.
- Confirm online criticism of any enterprise offering coronavirus merchandise or distribution. Circumvent from enterprises whose clients have protested about the items not being delivered.
- Investigate any relief or public funding sites requesting aid in relation to coronavirus before offering any aid. Recall, an institution may not be legal even if it utilizes terms like “government” or “CDC” in its title or possess credible-looking seals or emblems on its products. For online measures on aiding wisely, visit FTC (Federal Trade Commission website.
- Be aware of any enterprise, relief, or person soliciting remittance or aid in gift card, cash, by bank transfer, or using email. Do not transfer funds using these means.
- Be vigilant of “investment chances” relating to coronavirus, especially those built on allegations that a small enterprise’s commodity or services can assist terminate coronavirus. If you opt to invest, carefully investigate the investment first. For info on how to circumvent from investment fraud, visit U.S. SEC (Securities Exchange Commission) website.
For the most recent coronavirus info, customers may visit WHO, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Food and Drug Administration.
Persons who scheme to commit Health Care Fraud are criminals who break the law. If proven guilty of the offenses, they are severely penalized. Swindling Health Care programs is a serious crime that is harshly penalized under the law. You must seek legal advice or legal representation when indicted for Health Care Fraud or the offenses mentioned above to pursue and protect your rights. The Healthcare Fraud Group proficient team of highly knowledgeable attorneys comprises the best criminal defense attorneys with exceptional experience and provides the best possible service to attain positive results. Our highly conversant team understands the need to prove innocence after accusations of any crime mentioned above. Phone us now at 888-402-4054 for any legal help or representation you may need.